Sweet Stakes Success Stateside for Harbour WatchThe Harbour Watch two-year-old filly Miss Sugars gained her first Stakes win when landing the $84,225 Blue Norther Stakes (L) at Santa Anita on Thursday 29 December.
Miss Sugars was given a confident ride by jockey Tyler Baze in the Blue Norther at a mile on turf for two-year-old fillies. Miss Sugars closed from fourth in a field of 10 to win by a head.
"I wanted to get first jump on everyone else," Baze said. "She put me in a great spot."
Miss Sugars races for Red Barons Barn and Rancho Temescal, having joined US trainer Jeff Mullins in the autumn. The filly began her career in England winning on her racecourse debut at Thirsk for trainer David Simcock.
The filly was due an easier race after encountering trouble in her other runs in the States.
Miss Sugars was bred by Chippenham Lodge Stud out of the Starcraft mare Three Sugars, a half-sister to the French Stakes winner Kissing The Camera (Galileo).
She was from the first crop of Harbour Watch, that also includes Gr.2 winner Tis Marvellous.
- Havana Gold two-year-olds set to hit the Breeze Up Sales 21st March 2017
- Filante proves one to Watch for her sire 17th March 2017
- Another 3yo Stakes performer Stateside for Harbour Watch 28th February 2017
- First foal for Just The Judge 16th February 2017
- Impressive debut for Harbour Watch 3yo Batten The Hatches 14th February 2017
- Hot Streak's first foal born 17th January 2017
Back to top >>