Sweet Stakes Success Stateside for Harbour WatchThe Harbour Watch two-year-old filly Miss Sugars gained her first Stakes win when landing the $84,225 Blue Norther Stakes (L) at Santa Anita on Thursday 29 December.
Miss Sugars was given a confident ride by jockey Tyler Baze in the Blue Norther at a mile on turf for two-year-old fillies. Miss Sugars closed from fourth in a field of 10 to win by a head.
"I wanted to get first jump on everyone else," Baze said. "She put me in a great spot."
Miss Sugars races for Red Barons Barn and Rancho Temescal, having joined US trainer Jeff Mullins in the autumn. The filly began her career in England winning on her racecourse debut at Thirsk for trainer David Simcock.
The filly was due an easier race after encountering trouble in her other runs in the States.
Miss Sugars was bred by Chippenham Lodge Stud out of the Starcraft mare Three Sugars, a half-sister to the French Stakes winner Kissing The Camera (Galileo).
She was from the first crop of Harbour Watch, that also includes Gr.2 winner Tis Marvellous.
- Watch out for Harbour's second crop 25th April 2017
- Two Golden performers to note 22nd April 2017
- Harbour Watch heads second crop sires table 19th April 2017
- Watch out for these Harbour runners 19th April 2017
- Two Havana Gold 2yo breezers realise six figures 12th April 2017
- First-season sires smashing results across the globe 5th April 2017
Back to top >>